I’m going to confess… I once was a very lazy traveller.
When I think back to all the travel I did with friends and family before my solo adventures I have no idea how I managed to get from A to B and navigate my way around. How did I know where our hotels were and how to use the local public transport? I probably didn’t! I just relied on them. I was lazy.
I remember thinking, “It’s so good to not have to be in control, in charge”. I would let someone else figure it all out… Sit back and relax was my mentality.
Travelling solo was a wake-up call and a much needed one! And in all honesty it has helped my memory of my travels to be so much clearer as I am much more focused and attentive to the details. I now remember my travel experiences so much better.
I am much more mindful as a Solo Traveller.
So what is my top tip to combat being a lazy traveller? Research.
Do your research. Do your homework. Prepare.
So, what should you research? Here is a list to get you started:
– How to get from the airport to your hotel.
– What are the main sights to see?
– Where is the nearest public transport and how do you use it?
– Where are the sights you want to see in relation to your hotel?
– What is the local cuisine?
– Where is the closest food store to your hotel?
– Where is the nearest information centre?
– What do the locals recommend doing?
– Are there any Solo Traveller meet-up groups in this city that you could attend?
Once you arrive at your destination… Get the lay of the land:
– Find some landmarks or points of interest near to your hotel so that you remember how to find it whilst walking around.
– Ask at hotel reception for a map and circle your hotel on it.
– Ask at hotel reception where the nearest bus, tram, train, etc, are and how to use the transport system (costs and do you need to pre-purchase tickets or just grab one on board, etc).
– Ask locals for recommendations of good places to eat.
Since becoming a Solo Traveller I have learned the importance of doing my research. I don’t need to have everything planned down to a tee but I will at least have a rough idea of what I want to see and do, where my hotel is located and how to use the local public transport, etc. This makes for a much more enjoyable trip without any need for worry and stress.
Interested in taking this work to the next level?
My program takes you through a specific process focused entirely on you. First we will take your confidence to the next level, then you’ll learn about how to feel in control of your life and to get more of what you want (travel, money, motivation for example) and less of what you don’t want (anxiety, overwhelming fear and worry to name a few).
Head on over to my website www.xenathewarriorcoach.com to sign up for a FREE mini session with me.